Clean Hands – A recipe for good healthHygieneLabs India
Most people find it unimportant to wash their hands properly or are unaware of its after-effects. Having clean hands is a recipe for good health and hygiene, especially during COVID-19 times. This reminds us to make hand hygiene a part of every meal. According to CDC (Centres for Disease Control and Prevention), around 40% of foodborne illnesses are transmitted via germs and viruses on our hands. The rest, 60% of infectious diseases, are transmitted by touch alone. Our health lies in our own hands as hand hygiene and good nutrition is an integral part of our lives.
Handwashing is one of the most important and easiest ways you can adapt to help contain the spread of infection and illness either from contaminated surfaces or food. Handwashing with soap and water is an effective measure if we know when to wash our hands like before eating, preparing food, thorough cooking, re-heating, cleaning utensils, after eating meals, after cleaning your house, after sneezing or coughing, every time after using the restroom and after playing with your pets or outside.
The best techniques adapted to wash your hands are to wet your hands with clean water, use soap or any liquid washer, scrub it for 20 seconds, rub it thoroughly, rinse, and dry well. If you do not have access to soap and water, you can use alcohol-free hand sanitizers, rub for a few seconds and let it dry well.
The emergence of COVID-19 has made it very clear how essential everyday hygiene is for all of us. It becomes our core responsibility to protect ourselves and others too. Hand hygiene is not just limited to hand washing but includes hand disinfection and skincare. Hand disinfection with the best disinfectant spray can help contain the spread and remove pathogens that cause infections or diseases. For skincare, it is essential to use skin and surface wipes or and disinfectant wipes that helps in instant sanitization and are gentle on skin.
Ways to improve hand and good food hygiene:
- Wash your hands at critical times, especially before and after meals. Be a role model for handwashing for others.
- Encouraging handwashing with soap behaviours as social norms is an effective way and ensure handwashing facilities in public places are sufficient.
- Education towards handwashing and food hygiene must be essential for schools, and practicing group handwashing is a must.
- Healthcare staff must demonstrate sustained handwashing practices and include handwashing as a part of health promotion activities.
- Encourage hand sanitizers and washing facilities at the workplace before touching any surfaces and before eating food.
Maintaining good hand hygiene can contain the spread of serious infections and other diseases. The recipe for good hand hygiene can be quick, simple to implement, and remember. Encouraging good hand and food hygiene at the home, workplace, and while travelling outside can help you stay away from germs and viruses. Hygiene Labs India, along with its team, works in producing the best disinfectant solutions that can be used daily and come at affordable rates to contain illness and infections.